Thursday, April 17, 2008

Life: Where no eardrums were damaged, I think

Dave and Paul singing, while Haley plays DJ

I'm a little late with this karaoke party rehash. I know that most have you have been biting your nails in anticipation. Sorry. :P

Overall, I'd call the night a success.

Here's a link to the photo evidence, and here's the short version of what happened:
We had about 25 guests.
Many dressed in '80s inspired clothing.
Party ended at 5 a.m.
The police were not called.
I played DJ until 3 a.m.
Between 9 p.m. and 3 a.m., people requested and performed to at least 60+ songs.
We bought 25 songs on the fly through iTunes.
From 3 a.m. to 5 a.m. was the open-mic, all-sing, free-for-all.
From 3 a.m. to 5 a.m. you couldn't pull me away from the mic.
No, I was not drunk.
My husband and I were out of bed the next morning by 10 a.m.
The house was clean again by 1 p.m.
Kelly performing.Here's the playlist as I logged it at the time. There are probably errors of omission and errors in song titles. This is exactly as I wrote it down. And it's a good thing I wrote it down, too, because there were a few times as I was typing this when I said to myself, Really? I sang that? Oh, yeah, I remember now!

Stars (***) denote an award-winning performance as determined by our panel of judges. Awards were for '80s songs performed before 11:30 p.m.

Erasure -- Dave and Kyle
Walk Like an Egyptian -- Haley and JC
Rock this Town -- Mark
Welcome to the Jungle -- Lara***
Just a Girl -- Ladyknyght
Love and Affection -- Tom
Superstitious -- Hilly
Like a Virgin -- Joanne
The Logical Song -- Haley
Tainted Love -- Mark and Kelly
Let's Go -- Kyle
Ballroom Blitz -- Lara
True -- Ladyknyght
Stop Draggin My Heart Around -- Mike and Kelly (aka M-elly) live
Every Rose Has Its Thorn -- Dave and Paul***
She's Out of My Life -- Tom
Just a Gigolo -- Hilly and Wook***
Stray Cat Strut -- Hilly, Mark, Mike, Paul and Mario
White Rabbit -- Lara
Careless Whisper -- Joanne
{Something I failed to log} -- Dave and Kelly
Devil Inside -- Ladyknyght
Jesse's Girl -- JC, Haley and Kelly
I Won't Back Down -- Hilly and Mike
Cracklin Rosie -- Mark
Green, Green Grass of Home -- Mark
Killing Me Softly -- Mike and Kelly (aka M-elly) live
Sharp-Dressed Man -- Hilly
Candy-O -- Paul
A Piece of My Heart -- Lara
Kiss Me Deadly -- Ladyknyght and Haley
Semi-Charmed Life -- Dave and April
Rock Me Tonight -- Kyle
Ring of Fire -- Eric
Alicia Keys If I Ain't Got -- Joanne
She's Like the Wind -- Tom
I've Had the Time of My Life -- Mark and Kelly
Purple Rain -- Hilly and Mark
Love Vigilante -- Mario
Bring Me Some Water -- Ladyknyght
Black Dog -- Lara
Verve Pipe Colorful -- Paul
Fun, Fun, Fun -- Haley and Paul
Brian Wilson -- Dave and Mario
Money for Nothing -- Mike
Leather and Lace -- Haley and Mike
Why Georgia -- Dave, April and Paul
Come Monday -- Mark
Coin-Operated Boy -- Ladyknyght
Can't Hardly Wait -- Mario
For What It's Worth -- Lara
Du Hast -- Mark
Landslide -- Haley
Like the Way I Do -- Ladyknyght
Overkill -- Dave
Coldplay Trouble -- Wook
Luck be a Lady Tonight -- Mark
Laid -- Mario
No Sugar Tonight -- Lara
Centerfield -- Mike and Hilly
Only the Lonely -- Ladyknyght
Bennie and the Jets -- Paul and Santos (with Mike and Hilly)

{Then the free-for-all, open-mic started}
Don't Stop Believing
3 a.m.
Bohemian Rhapsody
American Pie
Sympathy for the Devil
If I had a Million Dollars
Switchin to Glide
{log stops here...}
If you read my pre-party post last week, you'll know I was really nervous about my two duets.

Mike and I were supposed to sing Leather and Lace live with Mike playing the guitar, but, fortunately for me, he broke a string before we had a chance to perform, so we just sang along to the Stevie Nicks/Don Henley version. People said that if we'd sung it earlier in the night, we might have been up for an award.

Mark and I had talked about singing Suddenly together. I knew it was going to be a disaster for me because Olivia Newton-John's part is too high for me. When I asked Mark about it at the party, he said the male vocal was a little challenging for him, too, and he hadn't practiced much. We were going to let it slide, but then some time around 3-4 a.m. we decided, What the heck!, and sang it anyway. At that hour of the morning, it didn't matter how atrocious my singing was.

Oh, yeah, in case you're wondering why we quit at 5 a.m.? One of our friends suddenly remembered that her alarm clock was set for 6 a.m. and she wanted to make sure she was home to turn it off before it woke up her son. Their departure turned into the signal to shut everything down. Otherwise, who knows when we might have stopped...

4 comments:

  1. What? No one sang Loverboy's "Hot Girls in Love?" Some party ... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you all have a wonderful time. One of my very good friends LOVES the 80's. Can sing them all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4/17/2008

    Karaoke scares the crap out of me. I can't sing worth a lick. I love listening to everyone else sing though. I love the playlist and the 80's theme!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Don -- If you're around next time we have a karaoke party, you're welcome to sing "Hot Girls in Love" yourself. Consider yourself pre-invited.

    @The Hunter's Wife -- It was a wonderful time. Most everyone who was there knew what they were in for and were open to singing or liked watching our craziness (and occasional bad signing).

    @Beeker -- There were a few people who chose to only listen and watch. And there were a few people who swore they'd never get up and sing who managed to get up there as part of an ensemble. And, truthfully, karaoke still scares me. In another setting, you'd have a hard time talking me into it.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Feel free to leave a comment. You do your part, and I'll try to keep the conversation going.