Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Why The Beacon?

I just renamed my blog. No longer "From the Depths of my Mind", it's now called "The Beacon".

A beacon is something that beckons, calls, attracts. It's an invitation to come and investigate. Illuminating a dark sky, signaling a place of interest.

My first novel is called "Prairie Fire", the first of what I hope will be several books with a fire theme. "A beacon through time, igniting new passion, exposing old truths" is the unifying concept -- characters pulled into a quest for true love and greater understanding of themselves.

The heroine of "Prairie Fire", Natasha Stewart, is a reporter for a fictional Chicago-area daily newspaper, "The Beacon." She comes from a family with a history of paranormal happenings -- a line of descent tracing to acolytes of the Scots Celtic goddess/saint Bride (Brighid), who is associated with fire, healing and inspiration. The patron saint of Fleet Street in London, St. Bride has a long association with journalism. It seemed only appropriate that Natasha should work for a newspaper named "The Beacon".

And it seemed only appropriate that this website should be called "The Beacon", too.

1 comment:

  1. You know, this is the first time I noticed the link there on the left-hand side of your page. I think that's a brilliant reason for the name of your blog, besides, The Beacon is rather catchy. (Hungry people might also confuse it with The Bacon, which can't be all bad! Bacon is tasty!)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Feel free to leave a comment. You do your part, and I'll try to keep the conversation going.