Sunday, April 06, 2008

Life: Angie, I hardly know you

At the day job that I hardly ever write about, I work with a woman whom I would nickname She-with-the-infectious-laugh. But for the purposes of this post, I'll call her Angie.

Angie's cube is right next to mine. We're both technical writers on the same project -- two of three women on a team of men.

We're not best friends by any means, but we do enjoy each other. Of course she won a lot of points with me shortly after we met when she told me, "You look like someone who works out" and then later insisted that I had to be 10 years younger than I really was.

One thing that never comes up, though, is her dating life. Despite the fact that only a thin cubicle wall separates us, I'm really good at tuning out her phone conversations.

Anyway. So, I hadn't seen Angie in almost two weeks because we had back-to-back vacations. Thursday, I was working from home and had to call in for our biweekly team meeting. We're a small team -- fewer then 10 people -- and we've all worked together for a while, so we tend to be very casual at times.

"Haley," one of my co-workers tells me right away. "Go to Howard Stern's site and find the episode for April 1."

I'm at home. I'm on my computer. Sure.

"April 1?" I ask. "Is this an April Fool's joke?"

"No."

So, while my boss is going on about project timelines, I'm trying to scan the synopsis of Howard Stern's April 1 show.

First I notice Angie's photo. Then I notice several photos with Angie. She's with some guy 20 years older than her called Evil Dave Letterman. Doing a Howard Stern gameshow called "The Newly-weird Game", which is take-off on "The Newlywed Game", along with George Takei of Star Trek fame.

As my boss is trying to talk about goals and upcoming reviews, I hear background mumbling as the team passes around photos of Angie on the show. As best as I can hear, Angie is doing very little talking, but she is doing some laughing now and then. It's mostly my co-workers obsessed with her appearance on the show.

After an hour-long conference call, I was left with only those tidbits of the story. I guess I could have called Angie's desk to get the full scoop, but, instead, I waited for Friday.

It turns out, Angie hadn't told anyone at work that she was planning to be on the show, but word somehow leaked out. And when you work with a bunch of computer geeks who know how to use the Internet, recordings will turn up. Especially when it's Howard Stern and most of the questions involve sex.

Angie was surprised I didn't know about Evil Dave Letterman -- in fact, she was sure I must have met him at one of our impromptu volleyball games last summer. But no. I hadn't. Needless to say, we've had several conversations about her relationship with Evil Dave ever since.

Here are YouTube links the show. It's in five parts because it's long. This video is safe for work, but the audio gets really adult by the third video. Angie doesn't come in until the second video. If these links die, try searching YouTube for: "Howard Stern Newlyweird".

Part 1:


Part 2:


Part 3:


Part 4:


Part 5:


If you heard the show live or made it through any of this audio, are you at all surprised that my team lost a bit of productivity over Angie's appearance?

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5/23/2011

    Hmm,are you sure she never lied to you? i always thought she was paid off by that dave guy,they hoaxed the entire relationship plot,are you positive that she was really his girlfriend?

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Feel free to leave a comment. You do your part, and I'll try to keep the conversation going.