Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A city of neighborhoods




To see this photo in a larger size, click here.

I like maps. I confess. I like to look at them, and study them and imagine the world they're depicting. Weird? Some of you may think so.

I'm particularly fond of the Chicago Neighborhoods Map. It takes the idea that even though Chicago is the third largest city in the United States, it's really just a collection of smaller distinct communities, or neighborhoods. The map is made by a company out of Naperville, Big Stick, which has also started to make neighborhood maps for other cities, such as Seattle and Boston.

Last winter while visiting the Chicago History Museum, I ran into this enlarged version of the map. I really like the way this photo turned out, with the woman staring up at the map, and the overhead light giving everything a red glow while creating puddles of shadow around the woman's feet.

10 comments:

  1. what a beautiful photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shot for Ruby Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like maps too and could spend hours looking at them. Great shot for RT!

    ruby red berries

    ReplyDelete
  4. The shot came out perfect. The light, the color, the composition.

    I have visited Chicago many times and have always been struck by all the small neighborhoods. It is one of my most favorite cities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That really is a beautiful photo. I like the way they mounted the map and the lighting in your photo and the woman's pose are just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the red of the map..really stands out against the dark contrast of the woman.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool RT photo! Makes me want to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely capture! And the style of the map is very pleasing to the eye too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone for your nice comments.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Feel free to leave a comment. You do your part, and I'll try to keep the conversation going.