Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I'm leaving on jet plane... tomorrow

There's going to be a lot about San Francisco and writing in this blog in the next few days. That's my intention, at least.

Tomorrow morning I leave for San Francisco to attend the annual Romance Writers of America conference. It's a writing conference with workshops covering topics ranging from basic craft to research topics to publishing house spotlights to chat sessions with authors.

Basically, if you're a fiction writer and you could only attend one writing conference, this would be a conference to look at. It's huge, and even though it's geared toward romance writers, truthfully, writers of all genres can get things out of it.

Another major feature of the conference includes the Readers for Life Literacy Signing on Wednesday night. More than 500 authors will sign books, with all proceeds going to a literacy organization. This is the only event at the conference open to the public.

On Friday, I'll have a one-on-one appointment with an editor to pitch my current project.

Saturday night is the Golden Heart and Rita Awards ceremony, where we all get dressed up and have a big party to celebrate the best romance fiction written in the past year.

And did I mention that the conference is in San Francisco this year? I'm bringing my camera and my walking shoes and planning to make sure there's plenty of down-time from the conference for exploring one of my favorite cities in the world.

Now I just need to buckle down and get some things scratched off my to-do list before I leave. Like finish this project for work.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous7/29/2008

    San Fransisco is one of those places I would love to go to one day. At this rate, it looks like I will be touring it alone since my husband refuses to go to California. He claims the moment he lands there, "the big one" will hit, so no thanks. Silly man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too. It's near the top of my 'must visit' list. Have a fantastic time at the conference. It sounds so wonderfully inspiring :)

    Don't forget us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. San Francisco is an interesting place. They have some great food. If you are a fan of garlic, don't miss The Stinking Rose. It gets crowded, but the food it awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Monique -- If you get an opportunity to go there, grab it. And as for "the big one", remember that one of our country's biggest quakes ever was in the Midwest on the New Madrid fault. Luckily, the region was barely settled at the time. :)

    @fragileheart -- Thanks. I will. And definitely move San Francisco to the top of your "must visit" list.

    @Cromely -- Excellent. I was at The Stinking Rose years ago and loved it. For some reason I didn't think it was still around, but you and Google just proved otherwise.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Feel free to leave a comment. You do your part, and I'll try to keep the conversation going.