Thursday, March 20, 2008

The World: Obama's message

Taking a cue from Kevin Numerick at Words of My Life, I'm embedding the video of Barack Obama giving his speech A More Perfect Union.



I normally shy away from posting things of a political nature on this blog, but I think this speech transcends politics. Even if you don't agree with Obama's politics, listen to the speech or read the transcript. You'll get something out of it.

It's hard to take just a few quotes out of the speech, because it truly works best as a whole. But in looking it over, here's the easily blurb-able part of the message that resonates with me:
It requires all Americans to realize that your dreams do not have to come at the expense of my dreams; that investing in the health, welfare, and education of black and brown and white children will ultimately help all of America prosper.

In the end, then, what is called for is nothing more, and nothing less, than what all the world’s great religions demand – that we do unto others as we would have them do unto us.

Just for good measure, I'm also embedding Obama's speech from the 2004 National Democratic Convention. It was the first time I heard him speak, and it wow'd me (validating my vote for him in the Illinois Democratic primary for U.S. Senator in 2004). This is the speech that got so many people excited about him as a candidate in the first place. It was a breath of fresh air in the middle of a bitter, bitter election cycle.



This concludes our political commentary. We now return to our usual programming.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Feel free to leave a comment. You do your part, and I'll try to keep the conversation going.