I can't really say that the songs are from 2006, just that there was something about them these songs made them our favorites in 2006.
As an end-of-the year exercise, Dave and I created a playlist for the year, each nominating half the songs. We had a lot of fun compiling it, and then wondered if our friends would be able to figure out which of us picked what.
So, we gave them the playlist and asked them to guess. Interestingly for us, most people had trouble, struggling to get more than 50 percent right. One person successfully guessed 16 of the 20, and then next highest person guessed 14. But the rest ranged from 6-12.
Can you do any better than the average? :)
1. Float On by Modest Mouse
2. Hallelujah by Rufus Wainwright
3. Mahna Mahna by Cake
4. Jane Says (2006 Remastered Live Version) by Jane's Addiction
5. Astronomy by Metallica
6. Thunder Kiss '65 by White Zombie
7. Love Is All Around by Joan Jett
8. Semi-Charmed Life by Third Eye Blind
9. Lullaby by The Cure
10. Upside Down by Jack Johnson
11. Istanbul (Not Constantinople) by They Might Be Giants
12. Feel Good Inc. (Album Crossfade) by Gorillaz
13. Flagpole Sitta by Harvey Danger
14. Hate Me by Blue October
15. Kitty by The Presidents of the United States of America
16. Last Kiss by Pearl Jam
17. Mona Lisa by Me First & The Gimme Gimmes
18. Slit Skirts by Pete Townshend
19. Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life) by Green Day
20. Good Girls Don't by The Knack
See the comments for the correct answers as to who picked which song. Regular readers of this blog may have an advantage in guessing my tunes, because I've mentioned some of them throughout the year.