Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Writing update: November 2006

Here's a synopsis of each project, where I am on the project and my goals for this month:

Prairie Fire
(A single-title, time-travel romance)

When a prairie fire magically creates a doorway that sends Natasha Stewart though time and into the arms of James Waverly, the sparks threaten to ignite more than dry grass. As Natasha searches for a way home and Waverly tries to protect this lady who refuses to be protected, they discover their lives are more connected than either could have believed, and Natasha's future hinges on this frontiersman with an unexpected link to her past.

Last month's goal: Submit queries/partials to at least three agents this month. Make this project work for me.

Status: Incomplete.

This month's goal: Get those queries out, same as last month.

Plus, send thank-you notes to the judges in the time-travel category of the FFP contest.

Finally, polish my Golden Heart entry. For me, that's the first 50 pages and a 5-page synopsis (same as I would send to an agent), plus a quick run-through of the rest of the book. Deadline to be received at the RWA office: Dec. 4.

Yes, in a moment of weakness, I've paid my entry fee in the Golden Heart contest again. In the Pro category, it's the smart career choice, because, hey, I could always final and get exposed to all sorts of industry professionals. Yet, the Con category was pretty strong also, with the expense of the contest, the subjective nature of judging (especially in this contest) and past disappointment being key points. But karma might be working in my favor, because if I were to final, I couldn't even go to the RWA conference next year because of a major family conflict.

The Hunting Lodge
(A co-written erotica project)

Three couples converge at an invitation-only lodge deep in the Scottish Highlands, where their hosts, a mysterious -- seemingly fey -- couple, entice from them erotic stories of love and passion.

Last month's goal: Finish Clio's Story. Scene should be about 20 pages when complete.

Status: Incomplete.

This month's goal: Same as last month. Finish Clio's Story.

Witch's Fire
(A single-title, time-travel continuing the universe created in Prairie Fire)

The ability to time-travel is closely guarded knowledge within Tatiana Stewart's family. When a fire sends Tatiana back to 17th century England, she's confronted by a sexy Scottish warrior who uncovers her secret and forces her to unravel a deeper mystery in her past.

Last month's goal: Move beyond the conceptual. Listen to Teaching Company class on Shakespeare, specifically for references to Titania, fearies and love in "A Midsummer Night's Dream".

Status: Accomplished! Finished the class and got lots of wonderful ideas. Wrote several pages of plotting notes for Witch's Fire.

This month's goal: Since I have so much to do on the other projects, I'm going to keep this project's goal easy. I'll continue research by listening to the Teaching Company course on Comparative Religions. Yes, I have a thing for Teaching Company courses. Love them. In audio format, they're perfect for my commute to/from my day job.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Feel free to leave a comment. You do your part, and I'll try to keep the conversation going.