Friday, September 22, 2006

A shot in the arm at Windy City

Autumn is here. Time to get cracking on the writing again. Time to get back to my writers group meetings.

I hadn't been to a Windy City RWA meeting since about April. I was just too busy (probably taking acting and painting classes...) and not feeling the need.

So I resolved to get my rear over there last Wednesday night. I was interested in the topic -- promoting yourself before and after selling your novel. It would be good for me, even if I could guess at what might be applicable to me at this stage of my career: get your name out there, have a web site, volunteer, be active and visible, network. And the advice for post-sale would be good to know in advance.

The topic was good, informative, with lots of tidbits to tuck away for future reference, but I can't say that it was the shot in the arm that I needed. Nope. The shot in the arm came after to meeting. The shot in the arm was the people.

First, it was Chris Foutris giving me a hearty hello and it's great to see you again.

Then it was talking with Teresa McCarthy, who was doing a signing of her books. We've talked maybe once or twice over the years, nothing that I thought should be particularly memorable. But, she remembered my name, she remembered that I was writing paranormal, and she was excited for me.

Then it was reconnecting with the other members, Cathie Linz, Dyanne Davis, Melody Thomas, Denise Swanson, Elysa Hendricks and everyone else. It was the sincere enthusiasm, the comeraderie...

I've been a member of Windy City for so long. More than a decade, I hate to confess. Sometimes I go to these meetings, do my time and leave. But those times when I really connect with other writers, ahh... that's energizing. That's why I need to keep coming back.

I'm looking forward to next month's meeting. Luisa Buehler talking about "Listen to the Bones: Cemetery Tales." A good topic for October.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Feel free to leave a comment. You do your part, and I'll try to keep the conversation going.