Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Odd encounter of the month

So, I'm leaving work last night, and as I'm crossing the parking lot, a kid comes riding up on his bicycle. Had to be about 12 or 13 years old. Junior high age, I'd say. As he rides up, he says something.

"What?" I ask.

"Wanna [insert F-word here]?"

Dumbfounded silence. Huh. More dumbfounded silence. How does someone respond to that?

"No." I keep walking.

"Why?"

Really? Really? He's following that up with a "Why?"

I want to keep my mouth shut. I really do. I know better than to feed the trolls, but I can't help myself.

"Because you're an [insert insult here]."

He continues to ride his bike past me, and I get in my car and drive away.

A million better retorts come to me in the car, but, mostly, I'm puzzled by the whole thing. Does he really expect that line to work? I guess it only takes one time -- and if it works, then that makes me really sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Feel free to leave a comment. You do your part, and I'll try to keep the conversation going.