Wednesday, October 18, 2006

The flu fairy

We were offered flu shots today at my day job, so I talked my husband into coming in to get one also.

Since it was Dave's first time getting a flu shot, he was told to hang around for 10 minutes to make sure he didn't have a reaction (extremely rare, but I guess it does happen).

Previously, I'd asked my co-worker Kyle if he was getting a shot, and he said he preferred to let his body build its immunities the old-fashioned way. Kyle can be weird that way.

Anyway, so while Dave waited his 10 minutes, Kyle came over to entertain him. (Kyle also happens to be a friend of ours.)

"So Kyle," Dave said, "Did you get a flu shot?"

"I don't believe in them," Kyle told him.

"What do you mean you don't believe in them?" Dave asked. When Kyle opened his mouth to explain, Dave cut him off. "They're not like the Easter Bunny." Dave then pointed to the woman administering the shots only 10 feet away. "The lady is sitting right there. The flu shots are right there. You can't NOT believe in them."

Kyle laughed good-naturedly and explained his reasoning, saying (my interpretation here) that he thought it was better to puke his guts out once every few years and let his body get stronger by fighting the flu on its own then get vaccinated.

"So what happens if the bird flu finally mutates and we have a pandemic? You wouldn't get a flu shot then?" I asked.

Kyle thought about it a few seconds. "Well, when they have a shot specifically for that, I'll get one," he said.

"You can't get one. You don't believe in them," Dave interjected. Then he relented a bit. "Well, I guess you could ask Santa for your flu shot."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Feel free to leave a comment. You do your part, and I'll try to keep the conversation going.